Poor Old Judas.

No, not me. The proper Judas.

I think the poor guy was pretty much screwed over by Biblical history (then again, history is written by the victors and so on). I mean, if one was to believe that the Jesus thing was true and that he was the Son of God and all that jazz, then surely Judas should not be rejected for his actions? He was essentially a pawn. Without him, Christianity would have never been realised. And it is my personal belief that it was not through actions of a Devil Incarnate but through human emotions. I think Judas loved Jesus but he was rejected and felt angry and broke out against it and the guilt drove him to suicide. I think that's very human.

And yet throughout history, he's been pilloried as a monument to Evil. He's pictured wearing yellow which in Medieval times was the colour worn by the Devil. This was then manipulated to be used as the colour to identify Jewish people in Nazi Germany, chosen for betraying "the cause" as it were.

It just makes me sad to think about it. We should feel sorrow for him, not just Jesus (in my opinion, someone with a bit of a mental health issue but I don't judge him for that. He said some good things unlike everyone else in the Bible.)

I admit it. I ship Unrequited Judas/Jesus.

I blame Lloyd Webber.
January 7th, 2011 at 11:08pm