New Years Resolution? (Includes rant about books...)

When beginning this year, I had already decided that I wouldn't have any resolutions. What kind of goals would I have? I already read at least one book a week, I have excellent grades, and I have already been trying to do things like lose weight and etc. So, I guess, here's a list of my resolutions that I came up with because everyone's been asking me "What's your New Year's Resolution?"

First of all, and most important, I want to actually buy books that I like. For a complete book worm, I surprisingly don't have many books that I can say belong to me. For almost a year (ever since I found my really old Hartford Public Library card) I've just been reading books from the library, and then returning them. I never buy books, which is a shame, because I love to read familiar things. It's a shame not to own the stories I love. I've actually checked out my favorites dozens of times, and I feel like those are actually my books. So, funny story: I was going home on the bus, and right before the bus left the school lot, I saw a teacher I knew walking down the sidewalk. He was kind off gross; I never had him for an official teacher, but he subbed a few times. And guess what? He was holding one of my favorite books, Still Life With Crows, and I knew that it came from the library, because there was black along the bottom where it read HARTFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY. I was outraged, and I was thinking, What is he doing with my book?

Anyway, this incident made me realize: library books are not yours. Other people have read them before you and will read them after you, taking them camping or home or to the office with them, even eating greasy food while leafing through their pages.These thoughts bothered me, so I have decided that I will buy books. I want a big collection. I want to take a book off of my shelf, and not have to go to the library to read a certain part from a certain book because I don't own it.

Yeah yeah, books are expensive. Like, ten dollars average at Barnes and Noble. At St. Vinnie's and Goodwills, I've always been convinced that their books selections, for lack of a better word, suck. But I'm determined to give them a second chance. A week ago St. Vinnie's actually had three books that I really liked for two dollars each, and I actually got two of them. That's called hope, my friends.

My other resolutions aren't that big, because I've been working on them before the New Year. I need to write more, draw more, and perhaps practice my cello more. It's all about motivation and all that good stuff, you know? Yeah.

So, what's your News Years Resolution, if you actually read all of this?
January 9th, 2011 at 05:53am