Nothing quite like death by Mad Cow Disease to make you want to turn your life around. :EDIT:

EDIT: Want to see a crazy-ass authoress dance around in a cow costume? Click 'Enter,' then the link titled 'Interview.'

You ask, "Wtf?"

I say, "Exactly."

I have a new hero. Her name is Libba Bray. She wrote this amazing book called "Going Bovine," and I just finished it, today.

And that rhymed.

Libba Bray pwns all other writers out there. No joke. Who else could bring together snow globes, high school, death, some crazy scientist named Dr. X, pot, brainless cults, a talking garden gnome who claims to be a Viking god, mad cow disease, a punk fairy, wormholes, a germophobic, hypochondriac dwarf, black matter, time travel, reality TV, a series of celebrities, drunk/shallow people, and music...and then make it all actually make some sort of twisted sense? And get across a series of amazing messages and morals? And win an award for it?

Good thing my roommate was out of the room, earlier, ‘cause if she would’ve asked why I was laughing so hard, it would’ve been impossible to explain.

Has anyone read the books "A Great And Terrible Beauty," or it's sequels, "Rebel Angels" and "The Sweet Far Thing?" Those are by her, as well. And they are amazing. I still reread them. Gemma is hilariously cynical, free-minded, and easily relatable, despite the fact that she's from the late 1800s.

Libba Bray is seriously one of the best modern writers out there. She's hilarious, witty, and she knows what she's talking about.

Okay, so J. K. Rowling is famous for creating this amazing world in which a little boy becomes a man, and learns some crucial lessons along the way about fear, desire, death, and love.

Stephanie Meyer is famous for creating these characters that are like "skins" the reader can put him- or herself into and live out their fantasies. (Don't get on my case for this one. Ask, and I will be glad to explain...)

And Libba Bray ought to be famous for her ability to make the reader feel by using fantastic descriptive tools, intelligent wit, cynicism, and wonderfully twisted plots.

Has anyone read Libba Bray's interviews? Or been to any of her websites?

Amazing. Simply amazing.

...Yes, I'm fan-girling. But with a cause! xD

:EDIT2: For anyone wanting to her talk, journal-like. Also, her website is her name, and she talks a LOT on there. :3 She's a good talker. She tends to tell long stories mixed with good humor.
January 20th, 2011 at 12:20am