London. 1.24.2011

I have been in London for a little more than 12 hours now and it has been a roller coaster of emotions. My family friend picked me up from the airport, we got lost on the Tube and then we finally made it to my dorm. After conversing with the housing manager, he left me to my room. There are 7 other people in my flat.

After seeing that I needed an ether cable to access the internet, I had a panic attack and felt completely disconnected from my loved ones. I then went on a walk with my mom on the phone directing me to any stores that might sell the cable. EVERY STORE IS CLOSED ON SUNDAY. I'm not sure how cool I am with that.

Then I went and walked over London Bridge through some of the city, to the Tower of London and then across London Tower Bridge. I was going to walk over to the London Eye and Parliament, but I was too tired. While walking I passe a construction zone that smelled like fresh cut wood and tears formed in my eyes. That is how my dad always smelled. Quickly I walked back to my dorm, put a DVD into my laptop and cried.

This went on for about 2 hours: crying, sleeping, talking to my mom and regretting my decision to come here. Then my best friend Robin called me and after hanging up, I got out of bed/my pajamas and fixed my face.

I walked across the hall to see the shared kitchen and hoped that people would be there. They weren't. Walking out of the kitchen, there was a sign on the door that said an American was coming on the 15th(wrong!) and under it they had written "When?" "Tomorrow?" "When are the Americans coming?" So I took it upon myself and went down the halls knocking on doors. Three of my roommates were in, Adam, Luke and John. They all seem like really cool guys. There is also a girl, but she is at home until school starts officially. That leaves 3 rooms for the other Americans that should be coming soon.

I spent the night going to the grocery store with John and Luke, where I bought Nutella, milk, Frosties (frosted flakes), detergent and my first legal bottle of alcohol. When we got back John let me borrow his ether cable and I skyped with my family, where I was mooned 3 times by my brother and dad.

The rest of the evening was spent sitting in the kitchen with the boys drinking and talking. It was really nice. I'm so much happier that I went out to meet them. Adam also pointed out that the Americans from last semester left a cable behind, so now I have the internet all the time! Tomorrow John is going to take me out and show me around since Adam and Luke have to study for tests.
January 24th, 2011 at 02:17am