I learned exactly why the sky is blue, and life will never be the same.

No joke. I actually learned why the sky is blue in the daytime and orange/red during the sunset.

And now I can know longer pretend that this phenomenon occurs because there's a giant ice cream sundae sitting just outside the atmosphere.

Lame.

D'you wanna know why the sky is blue?

Seriously?

Lies! No one wants to know why the sky is blue. It ruins all of the fun! xD

Anyway, I am sitting here eating the saltiest spaghetti known to man. A friend and I made it in the lobby on Tuesday with appliances that, I swear, were made when giant reptiles roamed the earth. It required a lot of patience, quite a bit of money, and a sense of humor, but it was SO MUCH FUN!!! :D Like, I don't know. There's some satsifaction in breaking away from the all-you-can-eat buffet in the cafeteria, which most of us are completely dependant on.

But guys, don't ever use pre-made spaghetti sauce mix. Not. Good.

Okay. I'm bored. I'm going to destroy some dreams, now, okay? xD Plus, I think that throwing it up into a journal will help me remember it, better. Study-time!

-gasp- We're gonna learn something? Eli's gonna study? And for science, nonetheless?

Actually, I should probably be studying for other things that are much more important than this, but not near as fun. Ahem. Anyway.

WHY THE SKY IS BLUE.

We have one major type of gas in our atmosphere. His name is Nitrogen. He's everywhere.

We also have the color spectrum that humans can see (Side-note: did you know that bugs see an entirely different color spectrum than humans? So flowers are a completely different color to bugs than they are to us! Crazy, much?): ROYGBIV. We all know what that stands for, right? THE RAINBOW!

And the color spectrum. :D

We've got Red and Orange on one side. They're the long wave-lengths.

We've got Violet, Indigo, and Blue on the other side. They're the short wavelengths.

Kind of like this:

Image

In the following pictures, the sun is marked by a dot, and the earth is marked by a plus sign. And you are marked by a badly-drawn stick figure twenty thousand times too tall. xD

Now, say it's noon. The sun is directly overhead. Any light it gives off is coming straight down through the Earth's atmosphere, past all the little Nitrogen and Oxygen and whatever-else molecules. All of the longer wavelengths don't make it through the atmosphere; they're scattered away. Only the blue colors reach the surface of the Earth.

Image

Bam. All we see is blue!!

At sunset or sunrise, however, things are almighty different. The sun is at an angle to where you're standing. Thus, the sun's light has to come in through the atmosphere at an angle, as well. There's more atmosphere that the light has to go through. Kind of like slicing a cake from the top left corner to the bottom right corner, instead of just top to bottom. The short blue wavelengths can't make it through all of this atmosphere, so they're scattered away. Only the red and orange make it through!

Image

Bam. All we see is red and orange!

So why are Lunar Eclipses red? I can answer that one, too! :D But that's a lot more typing and picture drawing, and I'm too lazy. Sorry! Let's just say it has to do with the Earth's atmosphere and only red/orange wavelenths making it through!

Bam. xD

Now! Now, now, now... Wait, what was I going to say...? o.0

OH YEAH!

So what if the Earth had no atmosphere?

Well, first, we'd be dead. Everything would be dead. We'd all be scorched to a crisp. But that's completely beside the point.

If the Earth had no atmosphere, the sky would look exactly as though it were night-time, only the sun would be a really big star right above us. The sky would be black and we would see stars..... in the daytime.

Weird, no? :)

Wouldn't it be trippy if you woke up one morning to go to school and all you saw looking out your window was this?

Image
.

Did you know that Venus rotates backwards compared to the other planets? According to Astrology, Venus is my planet. I like that very much. :D

And did you know that astronomers have known about the 'new' and 'recent' twist in the Astrological signs for thousands of years?

And did you know that there is a 13th astrological sign? And that it's been known about for thousands of years?

Man, but it takes a lot of time for actual fact to reach the media. xD I find that hilarious.

Anyway, I am off to hunt down some water. All this salt is giving me a headache.

Well, If I actually interested anyone, or actually taught anyone anything, sound off? I know I'm probably speaking to nobody, but, hey, it's for a good cause!
January 29th, 2011 at 12:17am