I think I have the coolest English teacher ever. [Death, questions, comics, and weekend plans.]

So, Mibba. I seriously think I have the coolest English teacher ever.

His name is Mr. Roy and he's in his early thirties. He's got a hot plate by his desk and a huge box filled with different teas. He has seven or eight mugs that students can use, and he'll let you make tea during class.

He also let me do a utopia/dystopia project on California 2019 and the Killjoy concept. (I'm going to send the basis of my presentation to MCR and let them know I kicked major *ss on my project.)

He's also a huge comic book nerd. He took a day off in October to go to the New York Comic Convention, and he got lots of autographs from his favorite artists/authors.

What's adorable is he wears a comic related t-shirt to school almost every day.

Anyways, I was talking to him about how Gerard Way wrote a comic book - The Umbrella Academy - and he was like "OH YEAH! I HAVE THAT ONE!" and then was like "OHHHH, SO THAT'S WHY GRANT MORRISON WAS IN THE NA NA NA VIDEO!" and started geeking out. (This is a frequent occurence.)

So he lent me The Umbrella Academy and started getting me into comic books.

When I picked up Life on the Murder Scene and watched it, I realized there was a bit where Gerard talked about comics, how they've influenced him, and drew concept art for Umbrella Academy - so I of course told Mr. Roy, and I lent it to him.

The next day he told me he stayed up far too late because he got wrapped up in the video diary and the music videos.

What he didn't tell me was that he downloaded all of MCR's studio stuff and started jamming out to Danger Days while driving around in his Monte Carlo and drifting around corners.

Yeah. He's f*cking amazing.

So I lent him the LOTMS album and I'm going to lend him the video diary again after he gets into the music more. In exchange, he lent me three comic books.

I told him I was going to Barnes and Noble tomorrow to use up my gift card, which is why I wanted comic reccs, and he told me he was going tonight and he'd section off a tiny bit of the comics section - the bottom left corner of the shelf. He'd put a copy of Watchmen and everything to the left of that would be his reccomendations for me.

Seriously.

Coolest. Teacher. Ever.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here had some comic book reccs for me. I'm not big into superhero comics - I'm more into the independent scene. Maus was really good, and I loved Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. (Needless to say, The Umbrella Academy is also way up there.) I'm just starting in on Asterios Polyp and I'm going to read Blankets tomorrow - those were his reccs. So if you've got any, throw 'em at me. :)

I just found out that my neighbor across the street died this morning. And now I'm thinking about things that I can't leave unsaid.

And of course, Mike comes to mind. I'm hanging out with him this weekend, and I'm wondering if I should tell him that I like him.

I mean, if Joe could die at 47 when he was out on the docks, what's to say that I'm not next?

I hate when my mind gets thinking like this.

I'm super-duper-pooper excited for this weekend.

First, I'm going to Barnes and Noble to get some books. (Yay, I'm in desperate need of some new books. :D) Then I'm gonna go out to lunch, maybe, with Annie for boytalk. We have soo much to catch up on, and I really love boytalk with her because she has so many funny anecdotes about Mike.

Then on Sunday, I'm going skating with Annie and Mike. I'm definitely pumped for this, because I feel really at home on the ice. And plus, it's good excercise.

My mom's also going to start making my Junior Event dress - it's like a semi-formal for Juniors, and I'm bringing my friend from the drama program, this senior, Tom. He's fabulous.

And Mike's bringing Annie and her and Tom are concocting a plan to date swap... which probably won't end well.

And then it's only four weeks until DRAMAFEST! WOOHOOO!

Smile, the World Loves You | Never Just One | Knock You Off Your Feet | Kaleidoscope Life
Check 'em out. :)

Questions
1. Does my English teacher sound awesome?
2. Any comic books to recc?
3. Any novels to recc?
4. Recc me a fanfic - het, please. I'm not in a slashy mood tonight.
5. Should I tell Mike? Or is it too soon?
6. What are your plans this weekend?
7. How was your Friday?
8. I love you. <3
January 29th, 2011 at 01:39am