Thoughts on Valentines Day

So, it's that one day where couples are legally allowed to be gushy and super-sweet without the singletons throwing things at them or being intentional third wheels.

In my experience there are two main views of Valentines Day:

1. It's a super-wonderful day and something to look forward to. It's a day where you can buy something special for your partner.

2. It may have originally been something worthwhile, but its become so commercialised and is just an excuse for companies everywhere to make money. Couples should love each other and show that love everyday just not on the fourteenth of February.

Well, I have another view to contribute to this argument: a little bit of column a and a little bit of column b.

3. Yes, Valentines Day is commercialised and couples should show each other how much they love each other every day - not just on a holiday. However, I still think it's sweet and not worth boycotting. I love giving all my girls friendship Valentines and seeing the smiles and happy faces (yes, I'm mushy). I love seeing my best friend's face when her boyfriend presents her with a red rose and a cuddly teddy bear. It's a wonderful day.

What do you think? 1, 2, 3 or maybe some other point of view?
February 14th, 2011 at 11:32am