Song of the Day: 02.15.11

I'm sorry for not posting yesterday as I was planing on doing, but I got caught up in writing, so blah. I wasn't going to stop to hash this out, specially when I was in that mood to just... focus so yeah. :]

Today's SOTD is going to be covering Dookie! (For those of you who don't know I'm doing a 10 day Green Day binge with my SOTD's!)

So, the songs that I have chosen areeee: Welcome to Paradise, Pulling Teeth and Basket Case.

Now, I know, I did Welcome to Paradise the last time, but it was officially listed as a track on this album too, so it's still a favorite, but I won't post the video because... I did so yesterday and yeah.

So Pulling Teeth. <3 I love this song! It's just so mellow but the topic of it is so deep. I'm probably looking too deeply into the content of this song, but it makes me think that in the media today, especially around where I live, there's a lot of focus on male abusers and how we need to help women and children and stuff (there a commercial on the radio for COVE (Communities Overcoming Violent Encounters - an organization to help protect women and children from abusive males) that really stresses this) but there like zero advertised help for males in an abusive relationship. Women can be violent, harm their spouse/whatever you wanna call it too. Sure, it might not be as stereotypically "common" as a male being the abuser, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And I get it, I've taken Sociology and Psychology and all that and I get it, I do. With the roles in society, men are made to be thought of a strong and not to show that they're weak by asking for help when they're the ones being abused in the relationship. And, sure, that might be changing slightly so it's not so... in your face as it was fifty or so years ago, but it's not gone. It's still there and that's what makes me sad that ANYONE should feel like they cannot get help when they're in this position.

The reason it's my favorite on the album is because is not like the other songs on the album (in my opinion). And that's pretty much it. It's something different in it's own way.

Anyway, take a listen to the song, and you can draw your own opinions!



The next song is Basket Case. It's another one of those songs that for some reason I just really like and there's not explaining why. I. Just. Do.



1. What is your favorite song off of Dookie?

2. What do you think about the abusive situation (not asking for you to say you agree or disagree with me, more of your take on what our society (or your society, if you happen to not live in the US) is like towards the sex roles and whatnot)?

3. Have you even been a victim of societies ideal way of life (feel like you can't say your opinion about something because it might get you shunned/that you cannot get help for something because it's shameful to be in that position or have that problem)? Don't feel like you have to say you were a victim of abuse, if you don't want to, just wondering if someone out there kinda gets what I'm meaning by the whole "thinking that males can't step up and admit that they're in an abusive relationship" thing. If you want, you can disregard this question entirely.

4. (wow. First time for a fourth question!) What did you think of today's SOTD? Should I keep debate starters or whatever out of it, or should I just not give a crap because it's my journal? Do you have any recommendations for future SOTD's or any music that you think I might like/you just wanna pimp? XD
February 16th, 2011 at 06:10am