Recent interview...first full serious one

Interviewer: So, how did you get into the kind of music youre into?

Me: Hm...I suppose it all started when I was a little kid, my mom listened to a lot of heavy metal, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden. After a while I just, started craving something heavier, so I looked up some other bands, really got into SlipKnot, Disturbed...Hatebreed was a big one for a while, then my friend showed me a band from I think Sweeden called Deathstars, and I loved the sound of them. They sounded evil, dark, almost scary in a sense. After that I wanted music that was heavier still. I typed in "metal" in google and saw Black Metal in one of the searches. I took a look at it and after looking at a list of Black Metal bands, one of them really stuck out to me and that was Dark Fortress, I heard them and I was like "wow, this is crazy, this is the shit I'm into" And it just kind of went on from there.

Interviewer: I heard you went to court because of the performance at a few of your shows, could you tell me a little about that?

Me: Haha, Yea, I'm not allowed to jump from any high balconys anymore, I can't light myself on fire either. Even though that's really what made our shows, our shows you know? But the court threatened to take my daughter away if I didn't stop because apparently I was attempting suicide or something.

Interviewer: Your music is often very dark, almost disturbing in some cases, what is the thought process behind some of your lyrics, and why it varies so much that you had to start a separate band for it?

Me: Uhm, well, the reason why my songs tend to vary in theme and tone is because the way I write depends on my mood. If I'm feeling kind of depressed and angry, I tend to write some pretty somber yet fierce lyrics. If I am extremely, let me clarify that, EXTREMELY pissed off, my lyrics are fucking crazy, the first song that I ever wrote that I thought was good like that was Eyes of Hatred, and I wrote that basically in dedication of this girl who I went to school with that just pissed me off every day man. She wouldn't even have to physically do anything to me, all she would do is open her mouth and start spewing bullshit about absolutely nothing and I would get pissed. There was one day I almost snapped, she was talking shit about a friend of mine and I yelled at her, she turned around, and said something, I can't even remember what it was but I was about two seconds from knocking out her teeth, and I really didn't want to get in trouble that day, so I got up, grabbed my notebook and left the room to go cool off, I sat down and just started writing, I didn't think about anything.

Interviewer: When did you start writing songs and whatnot?

Me: I would say when I was fifteen, the first song I ever wrote was terrible. It was juvinile, repetitive, and I put too much thought into it. I tried so hard to make it perfect that it was void of any substance. Basically I based it too much off of a song that was already written and it just didn't work. This sort of trend lasted until, I would say To Please a God, which was I think the fifth or sixth song I wrote. I played it out in my head, it was completely original, I could use my vocals without instinctively trying to sound like another band, it just worked and it was me.

Interviewer: Your song R.F.K.R. stands for Rape. Fuck. Kill. Repeat., which that in itself sounds controversial enough, but then when you get to the lyrics it is definately nightmare inducing in its content and how descriptive it is, do you think you could explain somewhat of the origin behind that?

Me: When I wrote the song I wanted it to be as gorey and descriptive as possible, basically I wanted it to catch people's attention. It wasn't so much I wanted to shock them, but sort of see what people who actually do that sort of thing see, the schitzophrenics who are on a much, much higher level of insanity that I am. In the character's eyes, what he is doing is right, because it pleases his "wife" Deena, who is actually a voice in his head that he created when he killed and ate her. And he is so dedicated to her that he will do anything he says to make her happy, eventually however, if you continue to listen to the EP, you will find that he eventually realizes what he has been doing is wrong in the eyes of society and instead of seeking help, he decides to turn himself in, claim that he was completely aware of what he was doing and accepting the death sentance. The entire point of the album is that nobody is truely evil, because they feel that they are doing right, however, it is society and public eye that creates the image of an evil person. The best example of this in real life is Adolf Hitler and the Nazis. To us, Hitler was an evil man who had to be dealt with, but to the true Nazis, the man was amazing, they stood by him one hundred percent until they died.

Interviewer: Speaking on controversy and evil things, there are rumors going around that you are a Satanist and that you supposedly worship the devil, what are your thoughts on that?

Me: Well, I can't really say that they are incorrect per se. I mean, I don't worship the devil or anything such nonsense, but I am a Satanist, and I think people should really do their research before jumping to such conclusions, but I know that there are a lot of people out there who instantly hear of something that they don't know anything about and it scares them. They hear the word Satanist, and they think "It has Satan in it, they must worship the devil" when that is not the case at all.

Interviewer: I recently heard that you left your band Blood Sweat and Tears and sort of went on hiatus with your main band Necro Fortress, is there a reason behind that?

Me: I just have a lot of shit going on, I mean, I have a daughter who's almost two months old now, I own my own house, and pay the bills with the help of my fiance, I have school and whatnot to deal with at home, it just became a hassle, you know? I couldn't keep trying to force extra time into my band when I just did not have the time. And I know they're all pissed at me for it, but what can you do? I have higher priorities than my band and I am going to take responsibility for them. Work before play you know?

(He ran out of questions for me so we exchanged our farewells and went about our business, now I await hearing about the article in the school newspaper)
February 18th, 2011 at 11:27am