Racism...

I Know Where I've Been

Okay, I know you aren't supposed to spam. And no, this is not spam. Click on that link up there and go back to whatever it is you were doing, it is only an audio track. Turn up your audio all the way, and sink into the sounds of the Queen. This song is so powerful, and amazing. My school is performing Hairspray this year, of which I feel so priveliged to be a part of, and we started practicing this song the other night. When I heard the lyrics to this, and how it was sung, I was given chills that no amount of heat, whether it was given by a warm drink, amount of clothing, or fireplace, would cure. Then, we went deeper into what the song meant, and the meaning of the play. The fact that that type of treatment was LEGAL back in this time was apalling to me.

Then, I left practice, as per usual, and went home. But my curiosity got the better of me. I looked at today's society. Now, while this treatment isn't legal, people are so corrupt, so STUPID and IGNORANT, that people of color and different beliefs are still being tried differently or getting shot for no apparent reason. It was an epiphany for me.

I also discovered a news story, though, where a teacher did an experiment with elementary school students. She told them one day that blue eyed and green eyed children were better than brown eyed children. The next, it was the other way around. These children resorted to fighting, in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. It is rediculess. All because people try to make themselves feel superior because of their race? Pure stupidity and ignorance.
February 18th, 2011 at 04:29pm