I'd like to point out, that there was plenty of conflict in the Middle East before this...and there still will be, even when we stop caring.

It...frustrates me, how people are treating the whole Libya/Egypt/Tunisia thing. And don't get me wrong, please; I wholeheartedly support how many people are getting involved and educated.

What I don't like is people are suddenly jumping on the bandwagon of helping the Middle East now, when for the past century, the Palestinians and the Israelis have been busily beating each other up and that's never been of high importance.

People are going 'Ohmygod, must help Middle East!' and they're completely ignoring the fact that there was a conflict there before, and it's going to be there after all this revolution and liberty gets sorted out.

I'm glad that people are supporting the revolutions, but there's more than one conflict, and both are equally deserving of attention/support.

And eventually, this revolution is going to die down, and people are going to go back to not caring about the Middle East at all.

It might be history in the making, but the fact is that it's going to be made, and then it's going to be over, and then the world is going to stop caring.

There are still going to be conflicts between the Israelis and Palestinians. The Libyans, Egyptians, and Tunisians will still be feeling the aftermaths of their revolutions. The Middle East is still going to be a volatile powder keg. And we'll move onto the next big disaster, and leave it all behind.

That's what happened to Haiti. So much support poured in, in the beginning. It was all over the news. And now nobody hears about. Nobody supports it.
The Haitians still suffering; it didn't stop just because we decided something was fresh and new and shiny and pretty and we should go pay attention and help that new thing now.

You can't just walk around and say 'I reblogged this post about Libya on my Tumblr, I have officially helped the Middle East. My job is done. You're welcome, Middle Easterners.'
It's great, that you've reblogged, and you're trying to help. But your reblog, while it might have spread information, has not permanently solved anything.

You're not at the point where you can walk away...and yet, that's what people are going to do.
They're going to stop caring because there's a hurricane in Russia, or a chemical leak in China. They're going to walk away with a job half done, and that to me is the most frustrating thing.
The most sad thing.
And those Libyans, those Egyptians, those Tunisians...they won't see it coming. Nobody ever sees it coming. They just know that support is there one day and the next, it's gone and suddenly they're stuck.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
February 23rd, 2011 at 01:09am