American Idiot Musical, February 20, 2011

So, I bascially had the time of my life on February 20, 2011, which happens to have been last weekend. You see, this was not my first time seeing the American Idiot musical--every die-hard Green Day fan should see it at least once. The first time I had seen it, back in July, I had been absolutely blown away by everything that had gone on--the story, how it had meshed together so well; the voices, how powerful and beautiful they were; the choreography, how in synch yet how it had an edgier feel to it, something that not all Broadway shows do. It was just so incredible how every scene and song captivated me.

This time, the experience was different. If you are a Green Day fan, you'd know that Mr.Billie Joe Armstrong was to be playing the role of St.Jimmy for 50 shows. The one I had seen last weekend was one of those shows.

Billie brought a whole new light to St.Jimmy. The character this time around seemed to be alot more sensitive, but that was just the feel I got from it. Billie's vocals--man, I have heard him live before, but never have I heard him sing like he did. He hit every single note like a professional Broadway actor--and his acting? Prestine. He was St.Jimmy. He was born as St.Jimmy.

And I ended up meeting him that night. It was short and sweet, and shouldn't really even be classified as meeting him, but I'll call it what I want. It was as close as I will ever get, at least for now.

As soon as the encore of Good Riddance was finished, we basically booked it out of the theatre, not that that was to do any good. There were people packed up against the barriers, and if you've been to one of these shows, you'll know what I'm talking about. It was not like the last time I had seen the show, though quite simular--everyone wanted the cast's autograph. Sadly, that was not the case that night. They all had the same mission in mind as I had.

My brother and I went to the back of one of the mobs of people, which in reality, the one we chose didn`t have all that many people. I was naturally upset because, being short, I could not even see over anyone, so there would be no way for me to even get the two vinyls that I brought (39/Smooth and Kerplunk) signed. My brother then came up with a plan: he put me on his shoulders.

I was up there for a while. We talked to almost everyone around us. It was great getting to know some fellow Green Day fans. We even sang Are We The Waiting and Basket Case. Oh, and Stark Sands (Tunny) came out, and I got his autograph. But that didn't compare with what was coming

When Billie finally came out, I freaked. I went from being totally calm, to crazy teenager. I attempted to make alot of noise, and yell "Look up!" a billion times, but that didn't seem to work, and I was beginning to get discouraged. Until finally, he did look up, took the vinyls, and looked at them. He then continued to sign one of them, not realizing that the other one was behind it. I told him, "There is another one!" and he looked at them, clued in, and signed the other one and gave them back. I told him, "Thank you so much!" and he replied, "No problem!", full eye contact.

Of course, I had to add: "I love you so much!", and he replied again, "Thank you." With his lovely grin.

I went home a very happy camper. It was a very good ending to a good weekend.
February 26th, 2011 at 04:54am