Hundreds missing, many more confirmed dead...

...from the earthquake/tsunami in Japan, and that statistic is a good few hours old.

I don't even know what to say. I was at work when it was reported and the channel was switched to CNN, and my entire household was glued to it when I got home. To add to the devastating images and videos being shown, there were also the warnings about impending tsunamis in the countries of the Pacific basin. The Philippines included, and though where we live is out of the wave's reach, a lot of provinces could also be affected. The tsunami warning here's been taken off now, but it's still prevalent in other places. We need to wait 'til morning to really survey the damage it's done to Japan. And there's another thing.

We have family there - an aunt and her husband, and their 3 year old daughter - that we haven't been able to contact for more than 24 hours now. It's terrifying to even contemplate why. They were supposed to come home this March. Supposed to.

I sat down with the laptop with the intent of writing, but I just can't right now. It doesn't feel right. I don't even have the luxury to get offended over people who are too busy with their own trivialities to give a damn, or those who account what happened as just another natural disaster.

I don't think I can function properly until I know they're okay. That they haven't become part of the statistic in this journal's title.
March 11th, 2011 at 10:09pm