Living out the dream: Midnight Riot

Where is the next big show? We have to wonder who will be next to step out of the crowd and blow us away with talent. Not just talent but someone who will put on a great performance and entertain us. American idol provides us a chance to actually see a singer grow and hopefully become America's next big star. But what if the next big act in the music business was right in front of you?

I’m so lucky to live in Austin Texas, the world’s music capital. I’ve seen many bands come and go in the hopes of living off the dream every artist wants. “To live off art”, basically it means to be able to survive off music. Which let me tell you is not easy, if you are a musician you understand that if you are in this business for money then you might as well quit? Just stop playing and find another job because music will never make you the money you dream of. Many bands fall apart because people are just in it for the money so I’m telling you now don’t be a musician if money is all you care about.

Music is about passion and love, plain and simple. I am a current member of a Midnight Riot and we are a local Austin band. We’ve been together for year and so many months. Let me tell you it didn’t start out as easy as some people make it sound, we all got together in high school and since then have worked hard to be the band we are today. But I wouldn’t trade the hours, days, or months that I’ve spent with my band mates. They have become my family and we all share the dream “to live off art.”

Our members consist of 5 people and I’m the only girl so I get to deal with 4 boys. Not that is a bad thing; actually it’s a lot of fun. We have Zak Kirkpatrick on drums who is not only a good friend but my brother. Kyle Samuel on lead Guitar with his brother Dylan Samuel on Bass. Austin Canary on lead Guitar/vocals, and lastly me Amanda Kirkpatrick on lead vocals.

I could probably give you paragraph descriptions of all us but lucky for you we just posted band bio’s on our website Midnightriot.com. We have a classic rock sound with an alternative twist I guess you could say. People ask me all the time what kind of sound we have and I come up blank every time. I guess I just find it really hard to explain our sound, so I simply say “you’ll know it when you hear it.” So here’s our song Thief at our CD EP release party.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sy6oRDfWJPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe we are the next big act, and maybe were not. I could go on and on about how much music means to me. To me music is my life, and every time I’m on a stage singing I just know that this is where I’m meant to be. As cheesy as that sounds it’s just so true, I love being there and getting into the music and I know it’s where I want to spend the rest of my life working to do. They say you should love your job so if music is my job then I absolutely love it to the fullest. So I’m asking if maybe you could support us by checking out our website and looking at our you tube video’s.
We just released our first EP in November so if you like what you hear then I definitely encourage you to go and buy it off itunes. (http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/midnight-riot/id414509320) My parents tell me to live life boldly and being on stage for me is being bold. I mention'ed this before but our website is Midnightriot.com, we have tons of info on the contest and shows we have played. Including the show we just played at South by south west when we opened for neon trees. If you have any questions you can ask me here on mibba or we have a Midnight Riot email address Contack@midnightriot.com, so don't feel shy if you have some good comments for the band.
March 19th, 2011 at 06:18am