The phenomenon of comment desperation.

Now, I may be wrong, but I've been for a while now intrigued by something I've noticed within myself when it comes to the topic of story comments. It might be only me that goes through this, but I'll just pretend that we all go through it.

Why is it that this crazy smile emerges when I see that pretty blue writing spelling out in front of me titles of my stories, following "You have new story comments"? I can't explain the rush of excitement, as if all the hard work has paid off, just because somebody said so. And this is before I even read the comment. Sometimes a simple "Cool. I like this." is all I get. Still my freaky smile is there. Imagine my smile when I get a descriptive comment! It's crazy, that's for sure.

I'm confused though, as to why we are so obsessed with comments. All these people "comment swapping" and "story whoring" for a smile sentence or paragraph of praise. I for one would continue to write and post without it, as would many others I'm sure. Not that requesting comments or promoting a story is a bad thing, I might actually try it. But somehow, the amount of readers or subscribers is just not as exciting as a comment. Perhaps it's those few seconds (or minutes, depending on my internet connection that day) longer you must anticipate while the webpage loads. Or perhaps it's based on the fact that words are more descriptive than numbers and statistics. Or maybe it is knowing that somebody has stopped and taken the time to not only read ( because Mibba isn't fully magic, they can count page views, but not actual readers) but think about, like and be bothered to say something nice about the story you obviously love because you've posted it and gone to the trouble of writing it.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about something irrelevant, and should get back to leaving comments on the stories I love.
March 20th, 2011 at 07:26am