Rebel

Many times when people think of the word rebel, they think of it as a bad word instead of a good one. They think of a teenager acting against their parents or sneaking out on a Friday night. But, what if being a rebel could be a good thing? 

By definition, rebel means a person who stands up for what they believe, despite what others may think. 

Being a rebel isn't always a bad thing. It's taking a stand for something you may truly believe in. Like being a Christian for example. 

Lots of times in our lives we will come across things that we believe in, that others may not like. 

In today's society we get put down for all kinds of things. We don't lie- we're 'chickens'. If we don't cheat- we're 'goody goody'. If we don't wear revealing clothing- we're not pretty enough. If we don't swear- we're too innocent. It's hard to live in a world where you are constantly criticized for everything you do, but God wants us to stand firm in what we believe. 

Proverbs 12:22: "The Lord detests lying lips, but delights in men who are truthful.

God tells us not to do things, like lying. Even if we might get in trouble for it later and have to face consequences for our actions, God doesn't want us to lie. Listening to God is hard sometimes, but he doesn't expect us to be perfect. He knows we will sin and fall short, it's our job to try our best.

In our life we will get put down and made fun of for following God's commands. 

1 Peter 4:14: "If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirt of glory and of God rests on you."

God knows you will be put down for being his follower, but he wants you to be strong. Instead of being ashamed of your faith, be proud. 

Matthew 5:12: "Rejoice and be glad because great is hour reward in Heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

In the end, it won't matter who put you down for your faith, all that will matter is how you dealt with it. In the end, you will get your reward for being faithful. 

Luke 6:29: "If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic."

Even if someone is horrible to us, God wants us to treat them the best we can. Instead of seeking revenge, we are to go out of our way to help them. 

God wants us to be a person of him and to spread his word to others. If we are mocked he wants us to rejoice. He wants us to follow his commands, even if were standing alone. 

Are you ready to be a rebel for God?
April 6th, 2011 at 01:53am