The Interesting Things About My Town...And The Things That Offset Them. What's Interesting About Yours?

Nothing ever really happens in the small town 20 miles out from where I live, every now and again you will see or hear a police car or ambulance rushing off somewhere, but in most cases; you never find out what has really happened. You might hear a hint here and there from the towns people, but the most thing they want to talk about here are their animals growing fat, their children growing tall, or what their neighbor did yesterday.
It's a pretty quiet little town, you can't find much more here than what is necessary, if you want something different; then you better go somewhere else.

When I was a lot younger and all I wanted was to get out and have fun, I hated this little place. No one really seemed to be interested in anything, but sitting around and talking about their lives. There was almost no way to get the clothes I liked, all that was here were dirty old buildings and a bunch of old people, and the young people were raised just like the old or ran wild however they wished. When I finally did get started talking to people around my age I realized a life like theirs wasn't what I wanted, none of them could read or write, all they cared about was hunting, fishing, going to parties, doing drugs and having sex. I didn't want that.
I still don't really have any friends in person, or anyone I can relate to or talk to. Even my boyfriend and I (Who happens to be my first in person boyfriend) have hardly anything in common, but I don't care, I kind of like being alone like I am; seeing as no one in my town would understand me anyway...But I've come to love this old town; all it's history. Most of the buildings we have lining our streets are old, probably from when the town first started; just refurbished and reused and I love that. There is usually 1 of 2 things we do with old unused buildings...We redo the insides and use them for our stores, or we just let them sit; peaceful in their disuse and neglect. I hate it that we don't take care of all of our history, but I do love the old neglected buildings and I am so glad no one knocks them down.

Here are some pictures of my town:

Image

^ This is the usual part of town I see every Saturday.

Image

^ I love the first building you see, it's a really good looking old one. Used as a fresh produce store.

Image

The side of that fresh produce store building.

Image

^ A doorway on the back of a building, who knows where it used to lead.

Image

My personal favorite, I hope no one ever knocks this one down. I would have it for myself, if I could.

Image

And another old house, a little better taken care of, but no one lives there...And no one knows why.

There are a lot more beautiful historic houses in my town, but they are mostly covered in wild weeds and vine, and it would be such a chore to take a picture of them that someone could actually see them in. I will do it one day though, because they deserve a picture; if nothing else.

I love my little town, I don't really care for the people, but I will always be fond of the architecture, and when I move away; I think I will miss all those buildings...

1. What is it about your town that you love?
2. Think you'd miss anything if you moved away?
3. Is your town like mine?
4. Don't you just love those old houses?
5. When do you think the first old house was built, the one with the green roof?
6. How would you describe your town? I don't care if it's long, haha =)
7. Have a good day, everyone. Thank you for reading this!
April 11th, 2011 at 07:53pm