The worst paying college degree

Today I clicked on the Yahoo! homepage and stumbled across this article. The title caught my eye because I'm currently out of university, having dropped out a year ago and still undecided on whether I'm going back to school, go abroad, or just keep working odd jobs. Some of the careers I'd been considering were being a flight attendant, or a preschool/ESL teacher. So imagine my utter disappointment when I found out that the latter is the worst paying degree in the world. Two of the things we should really be focusing on - children and education - concern livelihoods you must avoid to even think of earning money. It's just... ugh. A part of me wants to go for it anyway, because it's something I love and I can't imagine doing anything else (apart from my dream job to be an author, but I'm years away from publishing anything so I can't just rely on that), but a part of me also thinks I need to be practical. I want to travel. I want to move out. I want to buy myself some things my family can't afford (a new laptop, for example; or even an e-reader). It doesn't really take much to make me happy, but I don't want to live from paycheck to paycheck either. It just makes me so upset that actors can make millions off a single episode, but teachers have to wait for scraps at the bottom. I'm not targeting the entertainment industry or anything, but you can't deny the great disparity in income there. It ain't fair, bro.
April 13th, 2011 at 07:09pm