Filipinos.

The Philippines may not at all be considered progressive.
Neither is it competitive nor economically independent yet.
Amongst the economic and political struggles it has been facing, there must be something that makes Filipinos special, something they should be proud of, and something they should protect and care for.
They have something more important than economic progress.
Life can be so empty with so much wealth and economic progress. But Filipinos can fulfill the emptiness of life even without wealth.
With what? With their value for family and kinship.

The Filipinos may not be the only people who offer their whole lives working and striving for their families instead of for themselves, but they sure are part of those who do.
Most people strive and improve themselves for... their own selves. For their pride. Some for the country, some for their companies, but mostly for themselves.
Most Filipinos work not for themselves. They work for their families. For their mom, their dad, and they work for the sake of sending their own siblings to school.

Do you think OFWs find it easy going to a place they've never been to to work for many years alone?
Do you think they pridefully went there for wealth and wealth alone?
No. They knew they were going to earn some money but they also knew that how much they are to earn is less than the sacrifices and risks they were about to take.
It must have taken them so much courage to humble themselves and take whatever job available for their families. When you ask them though, what the most difficult part of the whole thing is, I'm pretty sure they won't answer the job, the isolation, etc., because most of them would answer being away from their families is the most difficult thing in the job.

Filipinos care for their family... and when I say family I don't only talk about biological family but also friendship ties... no matter what the situation, the age, and where.
If there's one thing Filipinos should be proud of, it's their innate nature of living not for themselves but for others. They are able to care for others more than they will ever do for themselves.
April 14th, 2011 at 04:53am