Read it. I'm not kidding. Just read it.

Okay, guys. I know I'm a few days early, but I'm going to really try and push it this year.

Coming Home.

I'm not asking you to comment it. I'm not asking you to critique it or pass down your judgement. I'm asking you take five minutes out of your day to sit down and read it. I'll be knocking something together over the next few days to add to it this year, and I'll be pushing it forwards and promoting it as best I can for the next week as well.

Why?

Because it's almost April 25th. It's almost ANZAC day and I want to honor those men. I want to remember those men and I want you guys to remember them too.

The majority of you aren't Australian so it doesn't make a Goddamn difference to any of you but I still want you to read it. I want you to sit down for those five minutes, read it, and realise that other countries have these things too. I want you guys to know what the brave, brave ANZACS did at Gallipoli and I want you to read that story and just think about what goes on, every day in our war torn world.

Because most of you won't know, I'll give a quick history lesson on the ANZAC's.

Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. The acronym ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, whose soldiers were known as Anzacs. Anzac Day remains one of the most important national occasions of both Australia and New Zealand.

When war broke out in 1914, Australia had been a Federal Commonwealth for thirteen years. In 1915, Australian and New Zealand soldiers formed part of an Allied expedition that set out to capture the Gallipoli Peninsula, under a plan by Winston Churchill to open the way to the Black Sea for the Allied navies. The objective was to capture Istanbul, capital of the Ottoman Empire, an ally of Germany. The ANZAC force landed at Gallipoli on 25 April, meeting fierce resistance from the Turkish Army commanded by Mustafa Kemal. What had been planned as a bold strike to knock Turkey out of the war quickly became a stalemate, and the campaign dragged on for eight months. At the end of 1915, the Allied forces were evacuated after both sides had suffered heavy casualties and endured great hardships. The Allied Gallipoli casualties included 21,255 from the UK, an estimated 10,000 dead soldiers from France, 8,709 from Australia, 2,721 from New Zealand, and 1,358 from British India. News of the landing at Gallipoli made a profound impact on Australians and New Zealanders at home and 25 April quickly became the day on which they remembered the sacrifice of those who had died in war.


I want you all to remember.


They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
All so young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
So full of life.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
Ready to defend.
They fell with their faces to the foe.
Until the very end.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Forever young.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
Forever remembered.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
Our heroes,
We will remember them.
We will remember them.
Lest we forget.

Lest we forget.

I wish people wouldn't make themselves look like a twat by pretending that people they don't like are immature twelve year olds. It just makes you look stupid.
April 20th, 2011 at 01:48pm