Confused about the Middle East conflict?...Look no further

I will and try to explain to the best of my knowledge what the conflict in the middle east is all about. I am willing for anybody to correct me or update this via comments and I will incorporate their knowledge.

The conflict started in Egypt where President Hosni Mubarak has been the dictator for over 40 years. His rule was actually promoted by the USA, as with Mubarak in power, the Egyptian forces pledged now to undertake conflict against Israel. Eventually Mubarak stepped down and now a government is being formed. Egypt is relatively stable. What happened in the ensuing days and weeks and months was the so called domino effect. Numerous countries such as Tunisia fell in a similar fashion to Egypt, but it is Libya that everybody is afraid of. When riots started in Libya, President Muammer Gaddafi fought back using the armed forces. There are now two clear enemies in civil war, Gaddafi's forces and a group being referred to as 'the Rebels'. The rebels at the moment have control over Misrata in Libya, which has been a major fighting point for both sides. The reason that this is different to Egypt is because Gaddafi has started killing the people he's supposed to be protecting, so outside government forces are moving in, mainly the French and American forces. Also, the Libyan armed forces are still rallied behind Gaddafi, whereas the Egyptian forces turned on Mubarak.

Hope that quick round up helps people understand :)
April 24th, 2011 at 09:53pm