"Vices" & "Virtues"

I believe the the title of Panic! at the Disco's new album, "Vices & Virtues," is supposed to represent themselves and The Young Veins. Or, even more so, Brendon and Ryan. Though which one is the vice and which one is the virtues is a little ambiguous.

Just listening to the music of the two bands, one would call The Young Veins the "virtue" (more wholesome) and Panic! at the Disco the "vice" (more electronic). But from Brendon and Spencer's point of view, I think they consider themselves to be the virtue and Ryan and Jon to be the vice (because they left. They changed.).

"We need the vices to find the virtues, I guess. And the other way around. The virtues give you a sense of the vices that are present or that you're more aware of them. I guess I used to think that would be more a struggle. It was more a struggle. But now, it's more of a ... you need one for the other, so in the end, it's just the balance. And that's a hard thing too, but that's the beauty of going through the process. You know, it's roller coaster, and it's not ever going to be completely balanced. But taking those to extremes, I guess makes for better experiences, or harder learning experiences, but ultimately, the lesson at the end of it is ... I mean, you've grown so much more, for going through those processes. I want to move forward. And wherever that means, wherever we end up, it's complete mystery. But forward is a good start I think." - Brendon Urie. (source)

And as for Brendon and Ryan? Brendon, as the Mormon boys, seems the obvious choice for the virtue, and Ryan, as the supposed slut, is the vice. But if they ever were really together, then I'm sure that Brendon, on some level, must blame himself, must consider himself a wrong-doer, a sin, a vice. And Ryan, the pretty Ryan whom he holds in such high esteem, must a virtue in his eyes. I love you. You are my virtue.

*

Also, I just finished watching the Panic! at the Disco Vices & Virtues movie, "Get Me Out of My Mind," and I noticed there were a lot of hints of femmeslash in it. Especially towards the end, when the "Vice" and the "Virtue" leaned in to kiss. And if Brendon and Ryan are a vice and virtue ... well, there you have it.

ALSO!
April 26th, 2011 at 01:15am