15 years, the anniversary of a tragedy.

So I already have a journal on the overview. Sue me.

Anyway.

Today marks fifteen years to the day that tragedy struck.

Today marks fifteen years to the day of the horrifying Port Arthur massacre.

The terrible event in which thirty five lives were taken and twenty one others were injured, following the actions of one crazed man armed with a gun.

Of course, all this happened in 1996. Back before the laws had changed. Back when it was legal to own an AK47 and illegal to be gay. But I digress.

It's been fifteen years since Martin Bryant lost his nut, and I still sit here and think about it every year. I know I was young when it happened, but there's one real reason I still pay close attention and grieve.

"Bryant then got back into his car and proceeded to leave the car park. Witnesses say he was sounding the horn and waving, others say he was also firing. Bryant drove along Jetty Road towards the toll booth where a number of people were running away. Bryant passed by at least two people. Ahead of him were Nanette Mikac (Née Moulton) and her two young children, Madeline, 3, and Alannah, 6 years old. Nanette was carrying Madeline and Alannah was running slightly ahead. By now they had run approximately 600 metres from the car park. Bryant opened his door and slowed down. Mikac moved towards the car, apparently thinking he was offering them help in escaping. Several more people witnessed this from further down the road. Someone then recognised him as the gunman and yelled out "It's him!". Bryant stepped out of the car, put his hand on Nanette Mikac's shoulder and told her to get on her knees. She did so, saying, "Please don't hurt my babies".

Bryant shot her in the temple, killing her, before firing a shot at Madeleine, which hit her in the shoulder, before shooting her fatally through the chest. Bryant shot twice at Alannah, as she ran behind the tree, missing. He then walked up, pressed the barrel of the gun into her neck and fired, killing her instantly. Bryant fired one or two more rounds at some people hiding in a bush, but he missed. Having seen the murders of the children, some people further up the road began running."


Madeline Mikac was in my kindy class. I still remember her. She was a nice girl. A sweet girl. We used to play together. With the blocks, and those humptey things my mam always made.

We'd sit together with two other girls at recess and lunch and share our food as well, I remember that. And I remember playing on the old playground with her, and we climbed right to the top before I fell off.

I remember that.

I still remember Madeline.

And I still think of all those who lost their lives in this tragic event.

We don't forget.

We don't ever forget.

The Alannah and Madeline Foundation.

"Two small children, Alannah and Madeline Mikac, aged six and three, along with their mother, died that day. Because of this terrible act of violence, Alannah and Madeline's father, Walter Mikac, Phil West and a small group of volunteers, including Gaye and John Fidler who survived Port Arthur, worked hard to set up the Foundation, a national charity with the belief that all children should have a safe and happy childhood without being subjected to any form of violence. It was launched on 30 April 1997 by the Prime Minister of Australia."

We don't forget you.


But we still support you.
April 27th, 2011 at 08:08pm