Dreams, Hurricanes and Writer's Block

So yeah, I've had Writer's Block on my story 'Chasing Imagination' for a long time. It's incredibly frustrating, because the whole idea is that it's meant to be the first in a series of six books entitled Dreamers. So far, I don't seem to be able to get it off the ground, despite the fact that I'm unusually proud of the whole idea of the Dreamers.

That said, it seems that I have written more of the other stories in the series than I have of Chasing Imagination. The second book in particular, entitled Hurricane, I have written 117 Microsoft Word pages about. I know right! I hardly ever get that far with any story, and it's by far my favourite piece of literature I've ever written.

However, for the sake of posting it on Mibba, I can't start putting it on here until I have finished Chasing Imagination. Whilst the main storyline revolves around characters who are not met in the first book, many of the characters from that come into it as smaller parts, and, if you read Hurricane before Chasing Imagination, you would find out what happens in the end of the former; who lives, who dies, who achieves what they're trying to achieve etc.

One of my main points of inspiration for Hurricane is the simple fact that recently I bought the new CD by Within Temptation, called the Unforgiving. Despite having started writing Hurricane before any of the songs from this album were released, they all seem to fit in with my storyline strangely perfectly, as though it was 'meant to be.' (For the record, I can't say I believe in fate. We make our own choices in life, and no one else can shape how you want to live.) These songs have been a surge of inspiration for me and, whilst I want to embrace that, I don't want to get too far ahead with Hurricane (or any of the later books, for that matter, which I have also written considerable amounts of) until I have finished the first one.

So, does anyone have any tips for writer's block? And does anyone who has read or even glanced at my story Chasing Imagination have any songs that they think relate well to it? If so, please tell me :)
April 28th, 2011 at 07:30pm