Day to day, all the same?

So, today I have had two problems with society. I was in sixth period and this 'popular' (I hate labels, don't you?) girl (fake name-Em) was talking to this Sp.ED girl, Amber. My brother has down syndrom, and I'm pretty sure that's what she has. So you know I'm already sensitive about picking on people like that. Anyway, I was just reading my Fellowship of the Ring book and overheard Em tell Amber that her best friend (who is also Sp.ED) doesn't want to be her friend anymore. This was obvously a lie, seeing as Em was smiling as she said it (and the whole class was like, "You know that's a lie!) but she continued to try and convince Amber, who is very emotional about her friendship anyway. Em kept persisting to a reluctant Amber, who would reply, "Well, I'll just ask her then." Then Em said, "She said she doesn't want to talk to you anymore." And, for the first time in my life, I jumped in and said, "Em, you know that's not true, so stop telling her that!" Em merely glanced back at me, still smiling, and said, "i heard her say it fourth period." Amber didn't get upset, Thank God, but you could tell it hurt to hear that. Mission accomplished, huh Em? It got me really upset and I nearly cried. Its so horrible when people do that, right?
And then, what really go to me today was when I just learned that a guy from a nearby school shot himself in front of his mum. He was being bullied at his new school. They would move away from him when he sat at the lunch table, and they just openly didn't accept him. He couldn't take it and did the only thing he thought he could. Hopefully, he's with Jesus now, but its so horrible that people are so mean, they drive people to harm themselves. I just hope this event has changed them.
It seems everyday, something like this happens, even the things like what I mentioned in the first paragraph. I see it all the time, but I don't do anything... But today has changed me. I'm doing something. I'm going to be nice to the boy sitting alone. I'm going to give a smile to the broken girl. And I'm going to befriend the lonely soul sitting in the back.
April 30th, 2011 at 06:54am