Changes in Music and Fans' Complaints

I am so sick and tired of hearing people complain about how they miss the old sound of a certain band, or any band for that matter. If you don't like the sound then just say it to yourself and leave it at that. Your opinion matters yes, but what difference is it going to make to an artist if you like what they're making or not? One thing that needs to be made completely clear to fans of a band is that even though they wouldn't get too far without the fans, they still have to grow up as artists.

There's no point in complaining about something that isn't going to change, so enjoy that they made new music and that they're evolving as artists. People in the music industry start in one comfortable place where music flows because they have a lifetime of experience to put down into one record. After they're signed it's a completely different ball game. It was said somewhere that you have 20 years to write your first album and then 6 months to write the second.

So taking that into mind, the sound of a new album is always going to be different. Complaining about how it's wrong, or 'this isn't why I listen to them' is just someone making a ridiculous comment about a song. Enjoy that there's something to listen to because music is hard to write.

I'll admit that i'm guilty of this as well. There are certain artists that I listen to specifically for what their first album sounded like. However, I am willing to take a step back and realize that each person deserves the room to grow as an artist by exploring a new genre, or a new direction.

It's important to look at new music and realize that there is a change from something that a certain artist that you've listened to for a while; that shows that you're paying attention. But it's another thing to shoot them down and beg for an old sound that they've grown out of. That part of their lives has past and they have to write about something new. It doesn't change the fact that the music of the past happened, but that's what it is; the past. Why dwell on something that isn't relevant to the current times?

Artist survive in the music world because they change. More of the same just becomes the broken record that everyone says to leave be as the white noise of the background. Live a little and give new music a try. If you still don't like then put on the old record, but I think that it's a better venture to grow up with an artist and see the world through they're ever changing eyes.
May 10th, 2011 at 04:56am