The Hotel Grim (Pictures)

All throughout my life I had heard stories about this 'Grim Hotel' or something of the sort, my mother said she had seen it once, but her memory of it was incorrect, because she said it was a black building and she couldn't remember where it was. Well, she had made me promises we would go to Texarkana or Louisiana and find it again one day so I could see it, so I never worried about looking it up, because I thought we'd find it someday, and there were other things on my mind. Plus, she talked of it as if it were still open, so it wasn't such a huge interest to me (Us being a family that can't really afford hotels anyway).

Anyway, just not too long ago I heard about it possibly being renovated on the news, along with a few other buildings falling into disrepair around the Louisiana area. So, I decided to find out where exactly it was. Thinking it was in Louisiana, I didn't think I could go any time soon, but I decided I would have a look anyway.
When I looked it up, I realized 2 places my mother had erred, it wasn't black at all, and it was The Hotel Grim, even better sounding. I also discovered that this grand and mysterious building was in the Arkansas side of Texarkana, so I was in luck. Something about the building intrigued me and my mother and so we decided we would pay her a visit...

The feeling you get when you first lay eyes on this building in person...At least for me...Somewhere inside I knew I could never avoid seeing it every time we came to Texarkana. The building is so amazingly tall...

Image
At least to someone who has almost never seen skyscrapers in person, it's really just mind-boggling!

Image

I couldn't take my eyes off of it, and I never wanted to leave it, I had a strong urge to go inside, but the only way in was through this old basement entrance.
Image

And to be honest, entering that way...Without asking, kind of scared me...So I decided, reluctantly, since there were big iron doors locking it shut...That I would leave and ask the owner if I could go inside. I have not been able to do that yet, but I pray he lets me go in, seriously...I am a serious Historic building fanatic...And this was love at first sight.
The Hotel Grim was built in 1925, vacated in 1990. It's 8 stories high (Not including the basement level) and there are 250 rooms. I don't know much more about it than that except it was the crown jewel of Texarkana in it's time, and Bonnie and Clyde had once been there, it's also rumored that Al Capone had made an appearance as-well. It was in the movie The Town That Dreaded Sundown about The Phantom Killer. It's supposed to be haunted and it is also said that homeless people live in there...

I am sorry that my pictures are so big, but I don't know how to make them smaller, the rest I will give you are links. I will definitely notify you and post pictures if I am successful with getting inside, because I'm honestly taken with this building, and I will haunt it quite often...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/FreakOfTheDarkness/100_3375.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/FreakOfTheDarkness/100_3365.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/FreakOfTheDarkness/100_3364.jpg

Pictures taken through the grate of the iron door:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/FreakOfTheDarkness/100_3374.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/FreakOfTheDarkness/100_3360.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/FreakOfTheDarkness/100_3361.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/FreakOfTheDarkness/100_3362.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed it.
It's kind of creepy how I happened to be listening to Endlessly by Muse at the moment and it completely fits in my mind...Does that make me insane? Haha!

Have a nice day, love you all!
May 10th, 2011 at 09:59pm