IS THE 'IT GETS BETTER' PROJECT A JOKE?

So basically, this all started yesterday. I went to the mall with my friend because I didn't want to spend my final day on Earth at home doing nothing. (yeah, because we all totally died right?) So we started talking about YouTube videos and I brought up all the videos people made for the 'It Gets Better' project. For those of you who don't know, people make videos about their problems with depression and bulling, all for the sake of saving people who may want to take their lives. Famous celebrities have done it like Kesha, Lady Gaga, Chris Colfer and even President Obama. And they all put them on this website, www.itgetsbetter.org (check it out, the videos are great).

So she knew about it and said that it was a waste of time. That of course celebrities can say it gets better when they are getting paid thousands of dollars. I said that normal people do it too, but she said that sometimes things never get better, sometimes you need to accept things will never get better and suck it up. She said that just because a few people say it, it doesn't make it true.

Now, before you go off saying how much of a downer she is, let me tell you that her life has been tragic. Her brother died this year from ODing on drugs and his wife pushed him to do it. She hasn't gotten over it yet and is still very upset about it. And she should be, she loved him. But she's convinced nothing will ever be better again and I want to show her that she will be happy again and that the people that bullied her won't be around much longer and her broken heart will heal. She doesn't believe me.

So what I want to know is, in your eyes, IS THE 'IT GETS BETTER' PROJECT A JOKE? Do you think it works, is it a good idea, does it not help at all? Do you think like her and say nothing ever gets better or do you think like me and say that everything does get better and it's all a matter of time? All I know is that if you do think that nothing ever gets better and life is only meant to push through with pain and sadness, that is the worst way to spend your time alive. Every beat your heart makes is something special. Like is too precious to waste on regrets or painful memories. Trade them in for loving ones or happy hopes for the future because everyone's life always changes for the better. All anyone can do is wait for that change. So please, for me, wait. And if you need anything, a shoulder to virtually cry on or someone to hear you rant, comment on this entry, send me a message or leave a note on my profile. I'll listen to every word.

Send me a story and I'll send back some love. I promise.

~ Adrienne, Stay Strong <3
May 23rd, 2011 at 01:02am