The Color Black

"Emo" isn't the color black.

I'm so tired of being called emo because I wear thick eyeliner and skinny jeans. Sure, I'm pretty different than most people. Sure, I lapse into depression sometimes. Sure, I have inflicted self harm on myself. But everyone has problems to overcome and the word "emo" is just a stereotype.
The problem is that people can't accept other people. Because I wasn't accepted, I became something I thought I'd never be. The truth does not lie in the color of your clothes. The truth lies in your heart, if you'll just look for it. The blame does not lie only at my feet. Because you've made me this way.
How can you call someone emo when you don't even know what it is? Most people don't know that "Emo" is short for Emotional, and it originated from a genre of music. The lyrics were more feeling than most other songs, more revealing. A dramatic way to express yourself. The word has been flipped to mean that you're a freak who cuts themselves and cries themselves to sleep at night.
If you dye your hair black, let it hang in your face, buy skinny jeans, and wear your eyeliner just a little bit too thick you're immediately stereotyped "emo." But those who stereotype others are truly insecure about themselves.
Think about it.
May 23rd, 2011 at 01:59pm