Don’t You Dare Read This, Mrs Dunphrey

I’ve been reading this book called Don’t You Dare Read This, Mrs Dunphrey by Margaret Peterson Haddix, and it’s very well-written and awesome, as well as inspiring and brilliant. :)

Image


The main character, Tish Bonner, reminds me of myself a bit (except, thankfully, my parents are different from hers, and I have an older brother who is really nice to me), as I like to express my thoughts, ideas and stories through writing and sometimes on my laptop.

Of course, the character of Bud Turner, Tish’s boss at the Burger Boy, was very well-developed as well. However, him firing her made me feel bad for Tish; he should’ve accepted that she wouldn’t go out with him back in the fall, and apologized to her, and then maybe gave her a promotion – like maybe to co-manager or something, or maybe even added a raise on her salary. Plus, like Tish, I also liked the manager, Mr. Seagrave, as he sounded kind of cool too, and like Tish, I don’t know why he hired Bud as her boss either. It’s too bad he then gets a new job somewhere else (although it’s never fully explained what the new job is or where Mr. Seagrave went), and that Bud had to replace him as manager.

Plus, Tish’s dad (Ray Bonner) is charming but abusive, while his wife, Tish’s mom (whose first name isn’t given), is kind of weak and is unable to stand up for herself.

Finally, Tish’s dad leaves after Christmas for California, and her mother then leaves to go find him two months later on February 12. Then all these bills come in that have to be paid, and Tish starts worrying that she has to keep everything secret. Finally, after the electricity is shut off, she decides to tell her teacher Mrs Dunphrey about her problems, and everything turns out OK for Tish and her little brother Matt in the end.

Anyway, this book is very neat and very cool, as well as very inspiring. I highly recommend it as well. :)
May 23rd, 2011 at 11:29pm