Hallway

This is more of a short story that doesn't have chapters so I'm writing it here:

Hallway
The hall is long and cold. It seems to grow with every step I take. The hall echoes when my feet meet the floor. The floor and walls are made of cement and there is not a window in sight. Most of the lights have blown out. One light flickers causing the dark hall to look dim eerie. It is cold and it smells like rain. There are puddles on the floor from the drops of water that have been dripping from the ceiling for what seems like forever. It is silent so all I can hear is my feet echo and the drops of water as they hit the puddles in the floor. The dead lights cause my dark figure to disappear. I walk slowly down the seemingly endless hallway. My hopes of reaching an end were slowly fading. My feet start to drag as I grow tired and weak. I walk under a flickering light that casts a shadow of me. It is as if I am looking into a mirror. I am but a faceless shadow of my former self. I cannot see the door at the end for there is almost no light. I begin to wonder if such an end exists. Am I forced to walk forever in this dark hall? Drops of water fall from the ceiling echoing through the hall. My legs give in as I fall to the floor. I can walk this hall no longer. I curl up and lay on the cold wet floor feeling the drops of water hit my face and mix with my tears. I am tired and drained of hope of finding the end. I close my eyes and feel tears fall as I slowly fade into the shadows. But then I hear footsteps. Slow echoing feet that grow louder as they come my way. The steps halt as they reach where I’m lying. Someone puts a warm hand on my back. “It’s going to be ok.” Says the voice as the stranger picks me up and holds me. I don’t dare open my eyes in fear that I am dreaming. I don’t want to see that I’m slowly dying in my endless night. He kisses my head and lets me rest it on his shoulder. “It’s ok now I’m here.” He says. He picks me up and starts carrying me, his warm arms holding what seems to be my lifeless body. I don’t speak I don’t move. I just feel the water from the ceiling continue to hit my face as his footsteps echo. My eyes are still shut. My clothes soaked from a puddle I was lying and crying on. I can hear his heart beating steadily. I hear him breathe. I feel his arms still surrounding me. I’m afraid that I am still on the floor but simply asleep. I don’t know how long I was lying there or how long I cried. But I found my tears again as they fell from my eyes. He kept walking. “There’s no end” I finally spoke, my voice rough and shaky “I’m forced to walk forever.” He set me down. “Then I’ll forever walk with you” he said. He held me there for a while and let me cry. The water from the ceiling still hit my face, they still echoed through the hall. I finally opened my eyes. He was still there. I looked into his eyes and saw a strange look of care and worry. He didn’t say a word but held me even tighter. I felt safe. A light flickered above me. I was reminded of my hallway, but now this dark silent never ending hall no longer seemed that bad. With him by my side I felt safe. I felt like I could finally sleep without fear of never waking up. He picked me up and we started walking again. And then, just then, I thought I saw a small light at the end of the hall. A speck of what seemed like a door. Was I finally reaching the end?
May 31st, 2011 at 03:06am