do teenagers have too much freedom

Teenagers have too much freedom?
This I do not agree with and in my essay I will discuss why people might think this, the responsibilities that restrict teenager freedom, there expectations and how it is just parent to afraid to let their children go.

First of all teenagers have a lot to deal with and have a lot of responsibilities. They have jobs, going through puberty. And on top of that they are trying to prove them selves responsible and grown up to their parents. A lot more teenagers are moving out younger and younger these days. And if parents would understand them a bit more then it wouldn’t be so stressful for teenagers

Secondly school takes away a lot of freedom.
Freedom of time, originality, choices, freedom of speech and even freedom we have after school. “School and homework take up most of the little time I have. During work, school and sleeping there’s no time to do anything else. Not even in the holidays.” Says Santana Tainui an average, normal fifteen year old student from Dannevirke High School. This is important to know because most teenagers are struggling with this “freedom.” This usually leading in poor school results, too much pressure and teenagers dropping out of school and society.

Parent’s hold back a lot of their children’s freedom. They like to make sure their children do not make the mistakes they made when they were younger, failing to realize that they are holding their children back from experience. Also parents have a lot expectations for their children to go to school, get good grades, not talk back and to do what their told when their told, so where is the freedom in that? I think that parent are to scared to let their children in to the world fearing that they will loose touch, or not survive the world. As Good Charlotte (the rock band) have quoted in one of their songs “The River”
“To the praying mother and the worried father let your children go if they come back they’ll come home stronger and if they don’t you’ll know.”
This is important because parents have to know what their doing, or in some cases what their not doing and that is not giving insufficient amounts of liberty to their young adults.

Some people say that too much freedom for a teenager will just give them room to cause trouble. I do not agree with this. Teenage freedom will give them room and time to find who they are, time to build an identity and to leave the roost.
To brake away from their childish ways and become an adult. As my mother says “you have to learn to fend for yourself sometimes, I don’t want you to live with me until your thirty.” Living with my mother until I am thirty could probably happen if I do not get enough freedom to learn the ropes of life.

So do teenagers have too much freedom? Freedom to run loose, cause havoc, find out who they are, and find their own identity which is essential for becoming an adult? No, they do not have too much freedom; they have exactly the right amount they need in order to gain the knowledge that will help them survive when they have to fend for themselves.
June 26th, 2007 at 04:19am