In the course of life, I'm just a baby.

I joined Mibba when I was thirteen. That was two years ago. I was barely thirteen. It hadn't even been a week since my birthday. And back then, I was just a baby, too.

I don't know when you stop being a baby. If you ever do. Because unless you live to be 115 or whatever the age of the oldest person is, there's always going to be somebody older and wiser than you.

I just finished freshmen year of high school. It was by far the best school year I've had in years. Possibly ever. But I was the baby. I was in a bunch of advanced classes where sophomores and juniors ruled.

At first, it was hard. But as I got used to it, I learned to let it go and just have fun. But it reminded me, I'm always just going to be a baby. I'll always be younger than my best friend who's a year ahead of me in school, and there's always somebody I'll be younger than.

I suppose you get used to it eventually, I mean you have to, right? And maybe it's not always quite this obvious. At my school, all it takes is one glance at an ID and you can instantly tell who's a freshman - they have a different color to instantly show who's allowed to go off campus and who's not. And it doesn't help to have days when you're required to wear your class shirt. But in real life, until you ask, you can't always tell who's younger and who's older, can you?

But it's weird. My birthday is in September. That means in September of this year, I'll get my license (assuming I pass the test and all that jazz). My friend who is closest to my age will turn sixteen next May. Most of my friends will turn fifteen at the end of July of this year. I'm nearly a year older than the majority of my friends. In fact, I'm a year and a half older than my youngest friend (she skipped a grade). Sometimes, (and maybe it's just my personality) I can feel the age difference. But other times, we're all freshmen just hanging out and having fun.

I just don't understand age. It both makes and breaks the world.
June 7th, 2011 at 06:32am