"Emo" poetry

So, I was thinking tonight, because I've been going through some head stuff that's had me beyond down and on the brink of picking up a knife or using pills or whatever, so as I was driving I started writing a poem in my head. Then I got to thinking, it was like an "emo" poem, a cutter, depressed poem. Maybe it's just people around campus that I share classes with or online people or maybe it's simply the perception by everyone that emo poetry is just attention getter poetry, but what if it is? What if it's a cry for help and all anyone hears is, give me attention and melodrama. Why do people see a suicidal poem and toss it aside because they doubt anything's wrong and the person's just trying to be like every other depressing looking kid? And, here's a thought, what if most of those kids that look oh so depressing, actually are depressed and really have something wrong in their lives? I don't know, it just hit me when the words were bouncing around in my head, people don't really think about those depressing poems put out there. For all we know, it's a person's suicide note to the world and no one's willing to hear it and do something, because they think it's some dramatic, low life.
June 23rd, 2011 at 08:17am