I'm Looking to be Swept Up and I Need Your Help.

I'm a reader. I always have been. And I need help.
That's probably the main reason I joined Mibba in the first place. I tried the whole writing stories thing, but it never really clicked. Then I realized my real calling was to read, and to comment and to give advice.
I have read so many stories, I'm actually suprised my mind hasn't just exploded. With all this fiction having passed my eyes I've read a variety. There are several types of stories I particularly enjoy.

First, there's the classic fanfiction. What person doesn't enjoy a good fanfiction? The best kind, I believe, is the kind the doesn't overthrow the original story and somehow seamlessly weaves its way through the author's plot. I can't tell you how many Harry Potter fanfictions I've read where Fred Weasley doesn't die, (I was quite upset by this and refused to accept it), but they never truly satiated that hunger for closure. I realized they probably never would because to have a truly gripping fanfiction it has to follow the same writing style of the original author, in this case J. K. Rowling, and subtly change little things in the plot. I’m sorry Fred Weasley, but you have to die.

Second, there is the occasionally enjoyable far-fetched fantasy story. Dear Lord. There are so many. And there are so many better than Twilight. I do enjoy a good vampire-werewolf story though, as long as it sweeps you off your feet because it’s so believable.

Next, there is the heartbreaking, life-changing romance. Ah, I cannot tell you what a sucker I am for them. Now I’m not talking about a simple love story, no. This story has to truly grip you in ways you didn’t think possible as it tugs on your heart strings and toils with your sanity. If you’ve ever read The Time Traveler’s Wife then you understand this true passion. You can’t fake passion like that. If the story doesn’t make me cry, I don’t feel like it quite got there.

The last type I don’t really know how to describe. It’s just a good story. Well-written, you can hear the author’s voice in your head. Beautiful concept, no one has probably ever thought of that before. Contradictory, it has both tragedy and comedy, passion and hate, action and dull moments. Everything.

The real reason for this journal is to find a story. I haven’t been swept up recently. I live for these stories. I need help, so if you know of any really good stories, like the ones I have mentioned before, please share. I’m an open person, so if you think the story will impress me, post it. Even if it’s nothing like what I said, post it anyway. You never know what you’ll like until its right in front of you anyway. Thank you!
June 27th, 2011 at 10:54pm