Story Review: June 29, 2011

Eighteen Years Waiting by Beatlemaniac

3.5 out of 5

So Eighteen Years Waiting is the first Tangled fanfiction that I have read though I have seen and love the movie. And I honestly wasn't quite sure what to expect when I started reading it. The layout is fairly simple but goes along well with the story itself. The summary itself lends little in hinting at what is to come from the story instead taking on more of an author's note sort of feel.

The story itself, changed everything that I thought. In my mind I have this bad habit of going through and correcting what thoughts, to me, should be when you have a more historically based piece like Tangled. However, the emotions that come through in this one-shot totally made me forget about all of that. I was near crying at points.

In this moment, I was not the queen of a thriving kingdom; I was not the wife of a man that I had loved dearly for over twenty years. In this moment, I was nothing but a mother, a mother who had missed her daughter for eighteen years, a mother who would give up all she had, if things ever came to that, just to be a mother. I cry reading that. There is a simple beauty in those words. Beatlemaniac manages to capture the emotion of every mother in that moment at having her child. Those few sentences made everything just flit from my mind and all I could do was look at this mother and her child finally having each other again.

Unfortunately, as much as I love the emotion, there are times when I just want to reach out and tweak the language a little to make it sound a little more antiquated or mature. After all, this is the perspective of a grown woman who has lost her daughter for eighteen years and there are times when she sounds more like she's between sixteen and twenty. These are things that could easily be touched up by word choice though and should not stop anyone from giving this one-shot a chance.
____________

Alright so Miss elizabeth; and I have decided that we will be reviewing stories together. We will review the same story and both give our opinions so you'll be able to see what we both think. Her review for this story can be found in her journal here
June 30th, 2011 at 01:19am