I Never Thought It Would Be This Way.

Image
My not-really-boyfriend wrote me a song. Actually, he wrote, played and recorded me a song. Which makes me feel really special and that isn't all. He is also learning "Falling In" by Lifehouse, which is one of my favorite bands. He even took me to their concert last year.

I never thought it would be like this. I was going to give up on men and deem them all to be pigs. I am so lucky to finally have a man who treats me like a girlfriend and not a possession. I have gone through a long string of bad, ugly, nasty relationships, and it feels so wonderful to find someone who really loves me and cares.

Our story is actually really incredible. It's long and complicated, and actually rather sad. I was thinking about writing a novella about it. The best part he is also a poet / writer and he could write his version as well. "It would put Twilight to shame." As he says.

Image

The Medium/Short Version
If you care to read

We grew up in a small town. He is three years older than me so we went to elementary school together, then I left for a different school. But we were always within four or five miles of each other. I went to art classes right next to the soccer field. During his 8th grade play I was there helping with props. His mother's house was only six miles form my house. But we never knew or talked to each other.

Then I went to high school, during my orientation he was watching me trying to understand why he was so attracted to me. I, of course, was completely oblivious to this, and accidentally tripped into him while walking and he caught me.

We didn't talk often, he was shy but he memorized my school schedule and would wait just so he could see me. He would occasionally sit with me and my friends at lunch but was too shy to say anything and often would end up playing with a chip bag.

When he graduated from High School, he would come back "to say hi" to his friends, but would look for me. The one time I saw him. I ran half way down the hallway and jumped up into his arms.

I wouldn't see him again for three years. I was dating another boy who dumped me because I "was a sin." I left a status on facebook about the break up, and he left his phone number saying that if I needed him he would be there. I called him.

We talked everyday for months. We went on one date, for coffee then stargazing at an abandoned barn. Still shy, I couldn't tell where we were in our friendship/relationship. We shared our first kiss under the stars that night. Then a few weeks later he stopped texting me. He didn't text me for two months. My ex and I got back together. He still didn't talk to me.

Then I invited him to my Alice in Wonderland birthday party, he didn't show up. So, I gave up. After my graduation I was up near his town and university, so I gave him a call. I met him at his apartment with my best friend. He gave me "I hope they serve beer in hell" book and the poem he wrote for me, was stuck in between the pages. It was awkward, but that broke the ice again. We started talking all the time.

He took me to the Lifehouse concert in June, after my boyfriend refused to take me. We stayed up all night talking and singing the Take This to Your Grave Fall Out Boy CD. Everything seemed pretty normal, until I got that phone call.

I was driving home from Tampa and he called frantic and panicked. Apparently his ex girlfriend went through his messages and say that he called me "beautiful" (my nickname) and she started this drama with my then boyfriend and his brother. He then rarely talked to me again for the rest of the summer.

When I went away to the University I got a voicemail from him wishing me good luck and offering help whenever. I didn't bother returning his phone call. Then one night in October I got a phone call from him at midnight practically in tears. He didn't understand why he couldn't find a girl who wanted to be with him. But he was seeing this girl named Nicole. I was actually rather upset by it, but let it pass. What was the point? It never worked out before. Why would it change now? We talked for three hours. I helped pick him up some. Then I got phone calls once in a while from him. I called him when I was upset about my then boyfriend trying to control me and my decisions, and of course he got drunk dials.

Then during Thanksgiving I was hanging out with the boy I lost my virginity too. We were walking across the street downtown and I realized something. "I love Wesley. He is the only man who treated me like a person and not a toy or possession." I am not sure what triggered it. Maybe it was the fact the other boy was fighting do hard for my attention.

I didn't say anything until December 17th. It was after a photoshoot I was laying in my friends brothers room at one am. I called him and told him that if I am not married by the time I am 27 that we would be good together. I told him I loved him. He said 'I love you' back. We talked almost every night after, until New Years.

There was some miscommunication and we got into a fight about me visiting his family. My then boyfriend wouldn't let me go anywhere alone. It was a disaster. But after a week or so we made up and started talking again. During the Spring semester we talked every day at 1 am.

Then he came to visit. I gave him a tour of my city and university. At the end of the night, I hugged him and dreaded letting go. Time ticked on. The last week of He was upset that no one was going to be with him on his birthday. So I skipped classes on thursday and friday. I drove down to his apartment and spent the night with him. After that I went to go see him almost every other weekend.

Of course, now six months after his birthday we have been together every weekend except for three. I broke up with my then boyfriend, and everything is more perfect than I could ever imagine. But we went through enough hell and games of cat and mouse to be here.

and for once, I can honestly say. Yes, I am happy.
July 6th, 2011 at 06:33am