Sign Language

So, I've decided that I'm going to be taking a course on sign language in the fall with the local college in the next city over. Why you ask?
Two reasons really:
1) I want to be able to help people hearing and deaf, so this presents a great opportunity to do so. Also because I want to be a journalist, I will most likely end up speaking to deaf people.
1.5) I was on vacation last week with my parents, siblings, and cousin Alex when my Mom and I decided to go to the grocery store for some food. On our way back to the camp site we stopped at a Dairy Queen and I went to get ice cream for the both of us. Behind me there was an older man who was deaf and was trying to sign/write what he was ordering to the people. I sincerely wish I knew enough to be able to help him out, which is sort of why I'm doing this and it kind of mixes with number one.
2) My nephew, Aiden John, can't speak. Aiden is now three and has a particular thing where he just can't talk, and it's going to last his whole life. You can physically see just how smart Aiden is; I will watch him form the words in his head but he can't express himself. He knows sign language which honestly amazes me, so in an effort to talk to my nephew when he's older, I want to be able to speak sign language.
Happily, I already know four words and one phrase. Most are due to Aiden when he tries to tell us something, but two are from the show Switched at Birth which I am legit in love with.
- I love you
- curious
- thank you
- please
- I
So what do you think of my idea to learn sign language? Until the fall, I'm gonna try to look up some stuff on the internet to help me move along with it, and ask my sister Nichole for some help with this but I still want to take the classes to learn all of this to the best of my ability.
Love,
Lulu
July 12th, 2011 at 04:32am