Demi Lovato: Skyscraper

I’m listening to Skyscraper by Demi Lovato and I must say that I will probably never listen to it again.

My issue is that she tries way too hard to hit her notes and speak articulately. I’m not sure how she was trained, but I think if she was trained differently she would be a much better singer.

I will admit that she has talent; there have been times in her career where I’ve liked a few of her songs. Particularly the songs Don’t Forget, Two Worlds Collide, and Catch Me. Those songs she sang softly yet powerfully and I think that’s the kind of music she should make.

I’m not saying she shouldn’t follow her dreams and become a rocker, but it seems like all of her songs where she tries to do just that (Get Back, Party, The Middle, Here We Go Again, Quiet, Remember December) she just overshoots it.

I don’t even know how to explain it, but when I was listening to Skyscraper, I barely could listen to the song. Everyone had built it up; there’s even a post on Tumblr saying it should be awarded a Grammy.

I dare to disagree. Her singing in that song (and I’m not trying to be rude here; this is just my opinion) is some of the worst I’ve heard from her. Especially that high note near the end. God I just wanted to turn the sound down or something.

Demi’s been trying so hard to get into this business (since she was eight, right?); I just think she was trained wrong, or for some reason thinks this is how she’s supposed to sing. But all she’s doing is ruining her voice. I bet you anything by the time she’s 35 she’ll not be able to sing well anymore. Her high notes are practically screeched, she uses this weird raspy voice to sing her verses, and then she overshoots her choruses.

I think it’s truly the vocal technique she was taught/that she uses. She’s not doing something right, whether it be her hard or soft palate, breathing, something is clearly wrong with her technique and I’m surprised no one has pointed it out to her yet.

I’m really not trying to be Miss I Know Everything About Vocal Technique because I don’t know everything about vocal technique, but I’ve had enough training to know that she is ruining her voice by singing the way she does.


[My God this is such an unpopular opinion. Celebrities are raving over this song; I just saw all the tweets.]
July 14th, 2011 at 11:49pm