What Can I Do? (Writing/Publishing Advice Needed)

Okay, so I've been writing for about 5 years now, and all this time I've been meaning to find a way to get some of my work out to the public...More than just posting it on a website.
Well, since I am currently re-writing the only story I am working on, the only thing I have ready is poetry. But I was never quite sure what to do with it, I tried some of those contest sites, but I never really got noticed at all, and I didn't figure it got anyone very far just to have one poem published in a book they don't even have a copy of.

Not too long ago, I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to do.
As some of you may already know, I have a pretty big obsession with historic buildings...And there so happens to be one that many others admire not too far from where I live (In Texarkana). I decided I would write a poem about this building, and maybe I could get recognized for it, because so many people are interested in it, and I have seen no poems about it. Well, first, I had to find a way to get it to the people of Texarkana, I thought I could do no better than putting it in the Texarkana Gazette (Their main newspaper). I ended up writing two poems about it, both quite admired by my family, but I found out that The Texarkana Gazette costs about 400 to 900 dollars to put just about anything in it, amazingly. So, that was definitely out of the question.

My boyfriend thought that it would be a good idea to send these poems to the owner of the building (The Hotel Grim) because he thought there was no chance he couldn't enjoy them. I didn't think it was the greatest idea, because the owner is an attorney, and he's got many other things to deal with. But I really didn't seem to have any other chances, because there seems to be nothing to do with poetry in Texarkana, no poetry magazines; nothing.
Now that my boyfriend has called the owner, he has changed his mind and told me I should wait until the building is renovated and turned into a condo building...Number 1. That will take years and I mean to get some of my work out there quite soon. Number 2. I really don't think anyone would want dark poetry like mine in their apartment building.

I have looked up poetry and Texarkana quite a few times and I still have not found anything, I don't know if it would be a good idea to try to find another newspaper for Texarkana and try to publish there or not. The main reason this whole thing is such an issue is because most people that don't live in Texarkana don't know about The Hotel Grim and wouldn't get it. And I worked really hard on these...
I really don't know what to do now. I mean, I could try something else with my other poetry, but I was so hopeful I could do something with these. If you guys have any idea at all, I would really love some help here, because I don't like thinking I made these for nothing, and that no one will ever be able to appreciate them...It's really hard living in a small town that doesn't appreciate reading *Sigh* Any help at all will be appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
I hope you are all having good days.
July 21st, 2011 at 09:25pm