A NOTORIOUS EPIDEMIC: Are You cliche? || Questions.

What in the hell is cliche?

I mean, sure cliche means predictable, but isn't most every story a cliche? How far can we actually go with a story? It's one thing to be original, but even Voldemort died at the end of Harry Potter. And I never in my right mind would call Harry Potter cliche.

Please, don't take up ams. I am in no way insulting J.K. Rolling. It's basically a metaphor to convey the fact that it's one thing to have an original idea, but in some way it will always follow societies guidelines.

Example? Good conquers evil in Harry Potter.

It's a thing of a different sort to when a story has no originality, with no charm, and nothing special, topped with bad writing. That's cliche.

But when someone calls a story cliche for a character relationship? Dude! Romance it'self is cliche. Going against the grain is cliche. So technically everything has become a little cliche.

Examples:

-Good conquers evil.
-Evil Conquers evil.
-Evil conquers good.
-Good boy goes bad. (or girl)
-Bad boy goes good. (or girl)
-Good girl falls for bad boy and visa versa.
-Daddy issues.
-Abuse.
-Forbidden love.
-Broken family.
-Apocalyptic events.
-War
-Alcoholism
-Drug Addicts.
-Sickness
-Lost Love
-Young Love
-Old Love
-Brother sister relationships.
-Being Gay
-Time Travel
-Anime
-eating disorders
-mind control
-Self mutilations
-Arranged marriages.
-Fan fiction
-Fantasy.

Does your story fall under any of these? Congratulations. You're human. And guess what? You're cliche, but that's OKAY!

I hate when people call thing cliche when there are only so many ways to handle a situation. It's the appeal of the characters that make a story. Screw cliche. We all love it anyways. If you write about any of those things, you love cliche. People should just stop using it as an insult. Because if we're not "cliche" there is nothing left to write about. I ban the word cliche. Stop throwing the word around so easily.

Now:

What's your take on cliche?
Are you okay with it?
Do you want to change the perception of cliche now that you know you are in fact "cliche." ?
Do you hate the word as much as I do?
July 27th, 2011 at 05:55pm