We're in the 21st century, why the homophobia ?

I'm getting sick and tired of people around me bashing gays, lesbians and such people! The only place I will find acceptance for them is online, on mibba and tumblr. I'm not a fan of reading slash or anything, I never have actually, because it doesn't interest me, but I don't go around discriminating someone for their sexual orientation. They're all humans, so why the hatred?

People at my school often joke about these things, but when it really comes down to it, you can hear a chorus of, "In all honesty, I absolutely hate gay people! They're disgusting."

What is their problem?! No one is asking you to be gay, but why hate someone else for it? Just leave them alone! It's really such a shame, because when people do this, it is being nosy, it's none of their business who is gay or lesbian, and yet they always talk about it, gossip. Have they no life but to degrade others for what isn't their fault?

I go to a Catholic school, and we were told something along the lines of some guy being the first gay Bishop in the Church, and yet there are students 'disgusted' by these people? They can't even blame religion anymore for their hatred, it's just ingrained in them and their society.

I wasn't brought up with the belief that gays and lesbians aren't human, and religion never taught me so either (I'm not Christian by the way) my parents have no problem with these people, and neither do I. If a religion teaches you hatred towards a particular someone, can it really be a religion of good? But in my school, our religion teacher has said there's nothing wrong with homosexuals, because apparently the Pope said so. Why do people still blame religion for this?

Do you guys hear things like this too? If so, how do you react to it?
July 31st, 2011 at 03:26am