Is it selfish of me? I want braces, and I'm willing to pay on my own. (Information on costs and experiences appreciated)

K so, I'm thinking of getting braces.

My dentist has spoken to me about it being a very good option for me before, like throughout the years, yet my parents do not have the money to pay for braces whatsoever. I've always heard them say "Your teeth aren't bad at all, if ever your sister would need braces on the other hand, because seems like they're going to be pretty bad, we'll probably deal with the payments then". Well, my little sister has great teeth, they're all straight and white, seems like she has a slight overbite but that's nothing.

Both my sisters have pretty teeth, my oldest sister only has one tooth slightly pulled back in the bottom but otherwise they're perfect. My teeth have always been bad from the start. They're naturally yellow and I get cavities so easily it's overwhelming. I brush my teeth, believe me, I do, yet seems like my teeth are immune to the brushing.

I'm embarrassed by my teeth. I have a very small mouth so on the top only one is popping out in the front, I can feel the bump of the root in the gums, that's how pulled to the front it is. And on the bottom I have three teeth which don't fit in the alignment of my teeth.

I don't smile, because of the colouration and the alignment, some may think I'm silly, but my dentist never ceases to ramble on and on about how bad my teeth are and I hate it so bad. And now I'm thinking, would there even be a point in getting braces if my teeth are so bad? I'd end up getting dentures for Christ sakes.

I've dealt with my teeth, when I was younger I smiled thinking there was nothing wrong with my teeth, but now I feel like if I do smile, my teeth will be the main topic from then on.

I have over 2000 $ saved up, I work 3-4 times a week and half my pay is taken away for college. I also have a moped which we could sell for over 700 $ which could also be taken for the expenses. Now, I know the money I've saved up is for college purposes only, but my parents always take money from my account to help with some payments which they eventually put back. Also, my sister had over 4000$ saved up for school when she was my age and she had spent that money on a laptop and she had paid for our trip to Cuba as well.

So I hope there wouldn't be a problem. Here in Canada braces can go up to 6000$ Now I've heard you can make monthly payments, yet I'm not sure what the amount would be, or the period of time I'd get to make those payments.

I'd like to get an idea of this dental plan for braces with the help of you all.

Have any of you had braces, or are any of you aware of the costs for braces?

Help would be more than appreciated. I know the American and Canadian costs aren't the same.
August 8th, 2011 at 05:12pm