One Thing I'll Never Forget

A few years back, I honestly couldn't tell you when, my father had his second heart attack. My entire family was piled in the waiting room of this big hospital, just waiting for the news if he was going to be okay or not. No one was really saying anything, the news was playing, my mother was crying. I was crying.

After we finally got the news that he was going to be okay, we all went up to see him. If I recall correctly, only three of us at a time. My mother and I went first, my brother was in jail at the time--figures. He was out of it, but we didn't mind. We talked for a few minutes, told him that we love him and left, letting the next few go in, knowing that we would go say goodbye after they left.

When I was standing in the waiting room, I went over to the window. We were like five stories up, and I'm deathly afraid of heights but I wanted to look down. I was absolutely fearless at that moment--my father just had a heart attack, nothing could scare me.

I didn't noticed, not until my uncle Auggie came up. He placed his hand on my shoulder and I looked up at him. I was crying, and so was he. No words needed to be said, we just hugged for a moment. When he released me, neither of us were crying anymore.

I will never forget the look in his eyes, the sadness, the wanting to help. I'll never forget how no words were needed, and I'll never forget how good that damn hug was.
August 11th, 2011 at 06:16pm