Fanfiction and why I don't plan on posting any

Right, so when I first set up my Mibba account, I had a friend ask me if I was going to post any fanfiction on here. I write a lot of anime fanfiction (feel free to shoot at me, Mibbians) and so it would only seem natural for me to post it.

Well, I'm not going to. And here's why:

I want to be respected as a writer if original fiction. I really want a career in writing someday, and I'd rather create a story with my own characters than with someone else's, or even with band members or celebrities. Much as I do love writing fanfiction, I'm not entirely certain that it would help me with my creative process as much as writing original fiction does. In addition to that, I'm almost at the point where I think there's too much fanfiction on here.

Now before you open fire on me, let me explain why I say that. I was scrolling through the stories today, and a good 85% of the stories I saw were fanfiction. A lot of them had good ratings, tons of subbers, tons of comments...and good for the authors! Really, good for them. It takes a lot of skill to appeal to so many people, and I applaud them for it. But, when I did see original fiction, I didn't really see that kind of feedback in most of them. I did see a few with good reviews, but not as many as the fanfictions had. And it kind of makes me wonder: if the fanfictions that had such amazing reviews were original creations, not based in any kind of fandom, would they still be so well-received? Just a thought of mine.

So, time for questions:

1. What do you think of fanfiction?
2. Where do you see your writing going? Do you want a career in writing?
August 16th, 2011 at 03:06am