What would it be like to be someone else?

Inspired by this journal prompt: write about the most obscure thought you had today.

-

I've always wanted to be someone else, just for a day, just to see if the world they see is the same as the world I see. To see if anything would change if I weren't me, if I weren't a seventeen-year-old sexually confused middle class mixed race British girl, if any of those things truly affects who I am. I want to see how someone else reacts to situations that make me sweaty and scared, the situations that make my heart beat faster and the cogs start whirring. I want to feel things the way other people feel them. I want to see what fear feels like to someone who isn't me, what love feels like. I want to see the world through someone else's eyes and know that they also see the beauty in amongst all the pain. I want the reassurance that we are all fundamentally the same, despite our radical differences, that there are universal truths about humanity. I want to satisfy my endless curiosity about who and what we are.

I want that experience, to jump into someone else's body and just be someone else. I want to not be careless or dishonest or stubborn or cruel or lazy or tactless or sarcastic or mean. I want to see what it's like to not despise every fibre of your being. I want to be something better than what I am and I want to know that it's possible not to be this messed up. I want... kind of a lot, really, but I know it's never going to happen so I guess it isn't really a problem.

What about you, Mibbians? Have you ever wanted to be someone else? Specifically or generally, it doesn't matter. (There are a lot of people I'd like to be specifically, not gonna lie, but most of those are for less than, shall we say, moral purposes. Ahem.)
August 21st, 2011 at 03:58am