Girl.

Once upon a time there was a little girl. She doesn't remember much of her childhood. She was little. And she was a girl. That's really it.

She grew up a little bit. She was 13, and in 8th grade. She had her first kiss, with a girl who kissed her. Later, she questioned her sexuality. She was bisexual at first, and now she's pansexual. She had 3 boyfriends, and 1 girlfriend. That girl was the one she kissed; she moved away that summer. The third boy broke her heart, and taught her that love is rare, and she wouldn't find it so young.

That summer, she was introduced to different gender identities, and realized she wasn't comfortable with... herself? or... himself? or... this confused teenager thought about it more, and got a little irritated with gender-specific pronouns. he? she? F*ck it, they. That works.

So this was always on their mind. They felt like neither fit perfectly. Like, being a size medium, and your only options are small and large. Neither worked. They felt like they hated being a girl, but being a boy wasn't right. They didn't want to be a size small, or a size large. They wanted to be a f*cking medium.

And this, my friends, is where the story ends. It remains unfinished, with a size medium teenager in a shop full of small and large shirts.
August 22nd, 2011 at 04:19am