August 25th, 2011

2:09 PM

I'm back. It seems that I couldn't stay away from writing for more than a year. I love writing, and I don't even know how I managed to survive without it. But I do have one concern; will I ever be able to finish a story?

I look back on Behind Closed Doors and I find that I don't even have the patience to finish reading it, because when I started that story in late 2008, I had just turned 14. That was three years ago, and now my almost seventeen year old self sees so many differences between me now and the 14 year old me. I've come to hate the idiotic way that I wrote BCD; people loved the story, but it was totally and utterly improbable. Two teenagers in love escaping her powerful, abusive father would not fare as well as I had written it to be. I mean, come on...

That's why I hate reading Behind Closed Doors. I've tried to re-write it so many times, to make it more realistic, and less idiotic, but I just can't. And that makes me think, what will happen to Bound to the Sea? Will I be able to finish it or will I scrap it like all the rest of my stories? I absolutely love this story, I love how I'm writing it and I love how I have the freedom to create an entire race of ethereal beings. And I don't want to have to scrap it, ever.

If someone says, "Why doesn't Mira change into a mermaid when she comes in contact with all water? Like in the shower, etc? Other mermaids change when they touch any form of water." And I can say, "That's because it's how I wrote it. Mira is my mermaid, created by me, and because of that fact I can say that she isn't changed with fresh water. Plus, the entire plot line would be ruined if Mira only spent her time avoiding all contact with water. So there."

And also, I really just wanted to write something that wasn't a normal teenage love story (which I love, no offense to those brilliant authors who write them, but that's usually all I write and I wanted to branch out a little bit). I wanted to test the waters of the Fantasy genre, but not with something overrated (cough vampires and werewolves cough). So I thought, MERMAIDS. And so it began.
August 25th, 2011 at 08:40pm