Wade Belak

I can’t believe you’re gone.

Earlier today, my sister was on twitter (as always) and she yelled my name. I came running to see what had happened. She didn’t say anything, just pointed to the computer screen. I read the words in front of her shaky finger, but I didn’t process them; I couldn’t. I didn’t want to either.

You’re the third to die in four months. Frankly, one is too many. But with Boogeyman and Ripper, their passing never really set in. Or maybe it did, but I didn’t know them well enough. But you - you were my hero. One of my all-time favourite players. The most lovable, entertaining, funny athlete I’ve ever had the pleasure of cheering for.

I connected with you so much, that this felt like a personal blow. Probably because you gave so much to our community. Toronto was your home away from home, afterall. I was always reading your hilarious tweets and looking forward to your show that starts next week. Now, I really don’t know how to deal with this. I’m still hoping it’s a sick joke. I'm pretty sure all of Toronto is.

You were so happy-go-lucky; never without a smile on your face. If what they’re saying is true, and you did have the disease of depression, I’m so sorry that you had to put up a facade. I’m so sorry that that smile that was always on your face, was a fake. I’m so sorry that you felt like the only way out was suicide.

Even that word gives me the chills. I am cold and I am teary, writing this out and worrying about your gorgeous wife and your two beautiful little ones. I’m so sorry that you had to leave them behind.

I love you Wade Belak. You left way too soon.

Rest In Peace, buddy <3
September 1st, 2011 at 05:23am