Hometown Glory

I quite like getting lost, it's definitely in the top five things I like to do- be it alone or with friends. I like the mix of joy and pride I feel when I get myself lost too.

I feel joy because I am able to see new and exciting things that I hadn't even imagined being in my city, sometimes even making new friends. I feel especially proud when I lose myself and manage to direct myself back to my starting point without retracing my steps or asking for directions(giving me a map is like asking a cow to drive, it does not go very well).

Getting lost just makes me extremely happy. I love walking down foreign streets and back alleys, just as I love to photograph the journey. I love telling my friends about the shops and the graffiti, I love that when we go to that town next they beg me to show them what I have found.

I often catch a bus to a strange place and get myself lost on purpose- I did this today. It wasn't exactly a strange place, just Manchester. Instead of going shopping like I planned, I decided to walk a few blocks out of the city centre and it instantly transformed into an area of cute boutiques, american style diner/cafes, art shops and thrift stores. There was no more street rage, nobody was in a hurry and no one was hurling abuse at someone for barging past them or being in their way.

Honestly, it was like a completely different town. I was away from a mass of lads dressed in chinos and girls wearing floral dresses from Topshop and into a town where fashion wasn't really an issue, people had their own unique style and nobody seemed to judge them. Personal space and manners were obligatory and to put it one way, no fucks were given. It was seriously lovely.

This is why I love my city. This is hometown glory.
September 18th, 2011 at 02:16pm